SASB is pleased to introduce its Materiality Finder – a new tool that simplifies and accelerates finding information you require related to SASB Standards. After conducting extensive user research and parsing website data, this intuitive tool has now been developed. As a result, we have learned that website visitors primarily want 2 things when searching quick answers without downloading SASB Standards. Firstly, frequent users of the website seek a speedy way of finding disclosure topics in their industry and the ability to compare and contrast them with topics in other industries. Secondly, new website visitors want to gain a better understanding of SASB Standards, including how they fit into the broader ecosystem.
In response to these needs, the new Materiality Finder offers:
- An overview of the SASB Standards, including how they fit into the context of the broader ecosystem, their industry-specific nature and descriptions of the general sustainability issues that encompass their scope.
- A time-saving way to search topics in an industry, as well as providing the ability to search by company, featuring an overview of the general sustainability issues that do and do not appear in the industry.
- The ability to compare and contrast up to four industries side-by-side, with a clear view of where industry disclosure topics are similar or different.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about materiality, industry-specificity and the relationship between SASB Standards and other frameworks and standards.
The Materiality Finder is a refinement of an existing tool, the Materiality Map®, which many website visitors already use to gain a better insight and grasp of SASB Standards. The following points clearly define how it is an upgrade:
- As most users start with a specific company in mind, the Materiality Finder allows you to search by company instead of having to start by clicking on the sector and then finding the industry within that sector.
- The Materiality Finder more clearly highlights the disclosures topics that are relevant to each industry. In the Materiality Map®, you must open boxes to discover which specific disclosure topics and accounting metrics pertain to the industry. The majority of visitors to the Materiality Map don’t open any of the boxes and miss this essential information. For example, many website users think that sustainability metrics related to labour conditions don’t appear in the Apparel, Accessories & Footwear industry because Labour Practices and Employee Health & Safety are blank in the Materiality Map for that industry, but when you open the Supply Chain Management box in the Materiality Map, you see “Labor Conditions in the Supply Chain” for the Apparel, Accessories & Footwear industry.
- It is more simplistic to navigate in order to download SASB Standards from the Materiality Finder than it is from the Materiality Map®.
- The Materiality Finder facilitates the comparison of industries side-by-side, particularly when those industries are in different sectors.
To get a better idea of how to compare industries side-by-side, there are several companies that operate in both the Metals and Mining industry and the Chemicals industry. On the Materiality Map, it is rather cumbersome to see which general sustainability issues appear in one or both industries:
If a website visitor wants to see those two industries side-by-side, it is much easier to do so using the Materiality Finder:
We seek to continually optimize our resources based on input from the market. We are grateful to the many new and frequent website visitors that participated in our user research which assisted us in the development of the new Materiality Finder. Early testing indicates that the Materiality Finder is more useful than the Materiality Map®, as it makes it easier and faster to learn about SASB Standards and to find disclosure topics in one or more industries. We invite you to visit the new Materiality Finder and see what you think! We invite feedback here.